This post writes about what is AVIF file, how to open it, and which program is the best batch AVIF to JPEG converter to work on Mac and Windows PC.
- What is An AVIF File?
- How to Open An AVIF File?
- Best Offline Batch AVIF to JPG Converter Software (Windows Only)
- Best Online Free Batch AVIF to JPG Converter (Mac and Windows)
What is An AVIF File?
A file with the .avif file extension is a still image format to store images or image sequences using AV1 compress algorithms. Its full name is AV1 Image Format, created from keyframes of an AV1 video.
AV1 video format is open, royalty-free video coding format with higher data compression but keeps better quality for video transmission. It is developed by AOMEdia, Google, Cisco and Xiph.
AVIF files are much smaller than JPEG, PNG or other web friendly image formats, but has a better detail preservation.
How to Open An AVIF File?
Google has participated in the development of AV1 video format, so it won’t be surprised that we can open and read AVIF in Google Chrome browser. Not only Google Chrome, we can open AVIF file in Firefox too.
Open An AVIF Image in Chrome
- Open Google Chrome app.
- Open a new window tab.
- Drag n drop the AVIF to Chrome for opening.
Best Offline Batch AVIF to JPG Converter Software (Windows Only)
To convert AVIF files to JPG, there are downloadable and installable software like Pixillion Image Converter. This app can convert AVIF and 50+ image formats to JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, about 20 output formats with Write options.
With this program, you don’t have to wait for the conversion one by one, it supports batch conversion, you just need to import all AVIF files and select them all for concurrent conversions. The Edit portion of this program lets you resize, crop, watermark, rotate, flip, even add filters to AVIF images, if you want to.
A Summary of Pixillion Image Converter
- Read 50+ image formats
- Export as 20+ image formats
- Batch convert
- Edit images: crop, resize, watermark, rotate, flip, add filter
- Offer a built-in image viewer
- Output format settings
However, it has Windows edition only.
How to batch convert AVIF to JPG Offline with Pixillion
- Get a free copy of Pixillion Image Converter.
- Drag n drop all AVIF images to the app.
- Click on Effects to edit the AVIF images.
- Pick JPG as output format and adjust the compression settings.
Best Online Free Batch AVIF to JPG Converter (Mac and Windows)
Convertio.com and Cloudconvert.com are 2 online free converters for Mac and Windows that give a quick solution to convert AVIF to JPG. Both are great for small AVIF files conversion.
It is known for its superb conversion quality and has a clean & uncluttered webpage. With a large set of input and output options (docs, videos, music, images, compressed files), it converts most common files.
However, you can convert files with max file size 100 MB, and only 2 AVIF image per time. To convert files more than 2, you have to wait until other conversion finishes, or sign up to convert more.
AVIF to JPG Free on Mac or Windows with Convertio
- Navigate to convertio.co/avif-jpg/ in your web browser.
- Upload all AVIF images online.
- Click Convert button, if you are converting files more than 2, start other conversions when current conversions finish.
- Then click Download to save all JPG images to your Mac or Windows drive.
It is a simple file converter that even lets you convert a lot of files and customize quality, size, fit, etc.
However, you will find that it uploads and converts files slower than Convertio. In addition, you can only convert 25 files for free per day.
AVIF to JPG Free on Mac or Windows with Cloudconvert
- Navigate to cloudconvert.com/avif-to-jpg in your web browser.
- Drag n drop all AVIF images to this online tool.
- Click on Options icon and set up output JPG files.
- Click Convert.
- Click Download to save all JPG files.