Missing a person in a perfect photo? Now bring new life to your photos by adding a person to your landscape picture, to a group photo or any photo you want to place a people in. Even, we can add our loved deceased one to a photo to expand our memories.
Do we have to add a person to a photo with Photoshop, by moving back and forth between layers with great patience and necessary expertise on Adobe Photoshop? No, we don’t have to today.
This article explains 3 ways to add person to a photo without PS, one of them is free to use. Instructions apply to Mac and Windows computers only, not for mobile devices.
How to Add Person to A Simple Photo without Photoshop?
If you just want to a person to a landscape photo or pictures that have no foreground, you can use the easiest photo editor—Movavi Picverse for MAC and WINDOWS.
Picverse offers basic photo editing tools, also features with AI technology to restore old photos and enhance your images greatly. It has multiple selections tools, as powerful as Adobe Photoshop’s, letting users have a good control on the editing. It helps retouch, erase, clone, add filters, change background, overlay with texts or images, etc.
Steps to Add Person to Simple Photos without Photoshop
- Grab a free copy of Movavi Picverse, install and open the app.
- Drag and drop the image with the person you want to add to another photo.
- Head to Edit>Insert Image, use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to select the person along the edges.
- Press Ctrl+C or click on Copy from the Insertion toolbar to copy the person first.
- Then head to File>Open the photo where you want to add a person to.
- Press Ctrl+V to paste the person the background photo.
- Adjust opacity, resize or move the person as you want to. Then click Apply to add the person.
- Go to File>Save, the person will be easily added to your photo.
How to Add Person to A Group Photo without Photoshop?
If you want to add a person a team/group photo, or to a photo with foreground, a pro-level photo editor will be needed to blend the layers naturally.
With Luminar AI (for Mac and Windows), which is content aware, users get the simplest approach using one-click looks, universal and purpose-built tools to achieve great enhancements on images, as good as that editing photos in Adobe Photoshop. When adding someone to a picture with Luminar AI, this tool lets you blend the added person with your original photo naturally and seamlessly.
Luminar AI Standout Tools
- One-click Luminar AI looks to change your photos in seconds.
- Essential tools: light, color, black and white, denoise, detail enhancer, vignette, etc.
- Creative tools: replace sky, add sunrays/rainbow, apply dramatic/matte/mystical/glowing/foggy and other effects to your photo.
- AI enhance portrait.
- Professional tools: contrast, gradient, dodge & burn, split toning, photo filter, etc.
- Local masking tools: add layer and edit mask (add person like santa, remove person or objects, paint).
- Rate and organize images.
- Export images, including Raw images to common formats.
How to Add Person to Photo without Photoshop?
- Grab a free copy of Luminar AI, install and open the app.
- Click +>Add Image to load your background photo (the one you want to add a person).
- Then go to Local Masking tool>Add>Texture.
- Click on Texture Selection>+, import the image which you want to add a person from.
- Click on Place Texture to resize and reposition the person to match the background, you can also adjust the opacity to check where to place the person the best.
- Click on Edit Mask>Paint Mask, click on Paint tool, adjust brush size, opacity and brush over the person to show it front.
- Zoom in the person and its surroundings, use the Paint and Erase tool to show or remove mor details. Use the Space bar to change between brush tool and hand tool, use Ctrl+Z to redo.
- Now, click on Edit Mask tool again to save the changes, check the Before After result.
- Click Export to save the photo.
How to Add Person to Photo for Free?
GIMP, the adobe-alike tool to edit photos, offers a free way to add someone to photo, it may take some time, but the job can also be done as delicately as possible. It has macOS and Windows versions.
How to add person to photo for free?
- Install and open the GIMP app on your desktop.
- Go to File>Open to import the photo which you add to add a person from.
- Choose the Path tools, click your mouse along the edge of the person to add anchors and outline the person selection. In the curved areas, add more anchors to keep the details. Before clicking on the original anchor to finish the outlining, press and hold Control key to tell the program that’s the end of the selection.
- Find the Paths panel in the right hand, right click on the path and choose Path to Selection.
- Go to Select>Invert.
- Go to Edit>Clear to remove the background.
- Then go to Select>Invert again.
- Right click on the person, choose Edit>Copy.
- Now go to File>Open to import the image you want to add the person.
- Right click on the photo, choose Edit>Paste the person.
- Choose the selection tool to move the position of the person.
- Right click on the person, choose Layer>Scale Layer to resize the person.
- You can adjust the layer size, click Scale to check the result and reposition the person if needed.
- Go to File>Export as to save the added person to your photo.
Not Happy with the Result?
Photos are different, our recommended tools may work on ours but may not work on yours, if you want to add a person to a photo with multiple and complicate layer mixing, foregrounds everywhere before the added person, Adobe Photoshop will have to be your choice, it deals with layers professional, it has all tools you will need to make the adding/blending naturally.
You can download and install Adobe Photoshop here and check below YouTube tutorial to add person to your photos, if you have to.