PDF has greatly expanded the boundaries of digital documents that swell today, it brings us a much more innovative way to present our ideas. Therefore, people, especially office people use PDF very often. It is a commonsense understanding that we all need a PDF viewer to open and view a PDF file. There are so many options on a PDF reader, then how to change the default PDF viewer to our preferred one on mac?
In effect, it is quite easy to change the default PDF viewer on mac, here we list 3 methods to make this, no matter you want to change default PDF viewer to Preview, Adobe or other PDF readers for Mac.
Method 1. Change Default PDF Viewer via Get Info Menu
To change default PDF viewer on mac with Get Info menu is the most universal way that Apple macOS support itself and other authorities are recommending. So, we will begin with this method to change your default PDF viewer to Preview, Adobe Acrobat or other PDF readers.
- Right click on a PDF file, then choose “Get Info”;
- Then go to “Open with”. Now, the defaulted PDF viewer on my mac is Preview, you can click the drop-down menu to shift to another installed PDF viewer on your mac, like Adobe Acrobat Reader or others;
- Then click on the Change All>Continue to change the default viewer to your selected one. Open a PDF, you will find the default PDF viewer for your mac has been changed;
Method 2. Change Default PDF Viewer on Mac via “Always Open With”
Another method to change default PDF viewer on mac is enabling the “Always Open With” menu and choose your preferred viewer on mac.
- Right click on a PDF file, choose Open With>Other…
- Then go to Enable, choose Recommended Applications and select the PDF viewer you want to set as default from the app list. After that, check the box before “Always Open With”; If you cannot find the PDF viewer your want to change as the defaulted one from the Recommended app list, go to Enable>All Applications, then choose your wanted PDF viewer, and check the box before “Always Open With”;
- Last, click on Open to change your default PDF viewer on mac.
Method 3. Change Default PDF Viewer when Installing a New PDF Viewer
The last, but not the least convenient way to change default PDF viewer on mac is doing this as the installation of a new PDF viewer starts.
The reason why you want to change the default PDF viewer on mac is mainly for that you have other PDF viewers installed or will be installed on your mac. You can easily do this when installing a new PDF reader, since a newly installed PDF viewer will allow you to change the default viewer.
Here we take PDFExpert as the example, since it is the most popular Mac PDF reader and editor to work on your PDF files, it is much likely that you will install a PDF tools as powerful as PDFExpert.
The Ultimate PDF Editor for Mac
PDF Expert Allows Users to:
- Edit PDF: edit text, image, link;
- Redact, annotate, protect, sign, crop, rotate, extract PDF;
- Insert/Add/Delete PDF pages, add/remove page numbers;
- Scan & OCR PDF files to recognize text from scanned PDF or image;
- Export PDF as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Text, Image;
- Export annotation summary;
- Create PDF from Word, Image, etc.;
- Competitive price: $49.99
- Go to PDFExpert website, download the installer;
- Run the installer and go to the Installation Wizard as following;
- Check the box before “Set PDF Expert as default PDF reader”;
- Then click “Install” to change the default PDF viewer on your mac.
Isn’t it very easy to change the default PDF viewer on your mac? You can try any one of these 3 methods. Or, if you have other solutions, please don’t hesitate to share with us in the comments area.