Text box, also known as text field, is the section allowing users to enter texts. Text boxes are very often placed in a PDF or Word document, especially in forms to collect information from users.
Want to add text box to a PDF? Check out our guide as follows, we have both free and premium solutions to add PDF text fields conveniently with or without Adobe Acrobat.
- The Best-Result: Add Text Box to PDF in Adobe Acrobat
- Add Text Box to PDF Free in Mac Preview
- Add Text Box to PDF Free Online with Web-based PDF Editors
The Best-Result: Add Text Box to PDF in Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat solves all PDF editing tasks. It packs all basic and advanced features for PDF users. You can use Adobe Acrobat to add text fields for new information, add texts directly, or insert image, hyperlink, even media objects…It can create PDF from scratch, from other documents, it lets users convert PDF and turn PDFs to a list of popular formats, it allows reviewing, sharing, comparing, protecting, signing, filling forms…and much more than you might expect.
Not long ago, Acrobat’s high price tag is still the deal breaker. Adobe knows this and now it offers a more flexible pricing, there are 3 different plans plus the bundle giving away multiple Adobe apps at lower price. You should have a try and check out the surprises.
How to Add Text Box to PDF in Adobe Acrobat?
- Run Adobe Acrobat.
- Open PDF with Adobe Acrobat, choose Prepare form to allow Adobe Acrobat proofreading the file and auto create text boxes.
- To add text box, click on the Text icon and choose Add a Text Field, drag and move your mouse to add the text box.
- You can preview the text box or click Edit to change its appearance.
- Once done, go to File and Save the text boxes.
Add Text to PDF without Adobe Acrobat
Add Text Box to PDF Free in Mac Preview
Preview is the native tool on macOS to view and markup PDF files. The text tool under Preview markup toolbar lets users to add text boxes and enter texts if you want the pdf file recipients to fill the fields and send back you the information online.
Native and free, is Preview a perfect tool to add text box to PDF on Mac? I don’t think so. Users cannot add text boxes to PDF freely, it is not convenient to place, resize and customize these text fields as you want. You will find the newly added texts in the text boxes don’t match the look and feel of the whole PDF file, yes, it ruins the professional look you may expect. But if this is OK for you, continue with the steps as follows.
- Open PDF with Preview app on Mac.
- Click on Markup Toolbar to show the tools and select Text.
- Add text boxes to the PDF.
- Adjust the text properties.
- Add all text boxes, you can edit and replace the text later.
- Go to File>Save.
- Then open the file again in Preview or other PDF viewer, fill in the text boxes.
Add Text Box to PDF Free Online with Web-based PDF Editors
It’s good news for you that we finally find one free and web-based PDF tool to add text box to a PDF, which requires no cost to download the ready file or adds no watermark to your file, it is PDFescape, the authentic free PDF editor and form filler asking no sign up.
It is ideal to insert objects, annotate and manage PDFs. With this Insert tool, you can add text, image, link, form fields. The form fields can be different types: text, text paragraph, checkbox, radio, listbox or others, also you can adjust the form field properties to make the texts in your newly added text boxes match as highly as possible with content surrounding the box. One drawback is that, it is not so convenient, you have to manfully add the text box one after one, and there is no way to add a perfect text box in wanted location and same size.
- Navigate to pdfescape.com, upload the PDF.
- In the Insert tab, choose form field and select a type, text or text paragraph.
- Drag and move your mouse to draw a text box.
- Right click on the text box to adjust the properties.
- Click on the green Download icon to save the PDF file.
- Then open the PDF file in Preview or Adobe, input the texts to the boxes.
Adding New Objects to PDF File
It is not easy to edit a PDF file, we need install professional tools like Adobe Acrobat, it won’t be cheap as an ultimate PDF tool targeting all PDF tasks. But, for simply adding text boxes to a PDF, we can use native apps or web tools, as long as we can stand up those limitations.