Over the past few years PDF editing tools have gotten more advanced, as our needs become increasingly diverse, especially on PDF form editing. We might need to create a PDF form and add a submit button to the PDF, in order to collect form data on a server or collect form data as attachments to email.
Notice Write Before the Solutions
It is always tempting to use an online free PDF tool. There are so many web-based tools, but nearly all of them can meet basic PDF editing needs only, they become useless when dealing with advanced PDF editing, like adding buttons and setting up an action for it. That is to say, we don’t have a good online free option to create PDF form and add a submit button, a 3rd party PDF software is mandatory.
Pretty much everyone knows Adobe Acrobat, which has incredible collection of tools and features to work on a PDF, it is always the best rated PDF editor on the market and actually it has proved that. Therefore, in this guide, we will mainly focus on the method of using Acrobat to add submit button to a PDF form. But if you want to do without Adobe Acrobat, we recommend an alternative.
Create A PDF Form with A Submit Button in Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat offers all tools and features you will need for your PDF files:
- Create PDF from Word, Excel, PowerPoint and others
- Split and combine PDF Files
- Organize pages
- Edit PDF
- Export PDF
- Scan and OCR
- Create form, fill form, prepare form
- Sign, stamp, protect
- Compare, flatten, measure PDF
- Protect, redact, optimize PDF
Not just adding submit button to PDF form, Adobe Acrobat allows adding checkbox, radio button, dropdown list, Print or Clear button, image field, barcode or others as well.
“Pricey” is not a reason to turn users off from using Adobe Acrobat subscription anymore, it has a more flexible pricing plan, from $14.99 to $24.99/month, accessing to Acrobat or Adobe bundle. You can cancel the subscription anytime.
How to create a PDF form and add a submit button in Adobe Acrobat?
- Get a 7-day free trial copy of Adobe Acrobat, install and fire up the app.
- Go to Tools>Prepare Form, select the PDF file you want to create as PDF form.
- Add text boxes if you want to insert new form fields.
- Then click the OK button to add a submit button in a preferred location.
- In the Action tab, choose Select Action>Submit A Form>Add.
- You can add URL or email address to collect the form data when users clicking on Submit button.
- Go to File and hit Save.
Create A PDF Form with A Submit Button without Acrobat
If Adobe Acrobat is just not what you want, then Foxit PDFPhantom is likely going to be a better fit. There is no big difference on the price, but it has a different workflow, it is more like Microsoft Word.
Foxit PDF editor has similar tools and mechanic to create a PDF form with Submit button:
- Get a free trial of Foxit PhantomPDF, install and fire up the app on your machine.
- Open the PDF you want to create as PDF form in Foxit, run Form Filed Recognition.
- Head to Form, add new form fields if you want to.
- Head to Form>OK button.
- Add the action settings.
- Go to File and hit Save.
Also, you can refer to this video:
The Bottom Line
Maybe you don’t fancy paying out for a 3rd party software, but to create PDF form and add a submit for it, we don’t have an open source option or web based tools. Before any subscription, just be sure to install these 2 tools on your machine and try yourself.