Perhaps you are running a website and intend to upload all the images (most of them are JPG or JPEG files) in WebP format, since Google recommend doing so to improve your website performance, or you have other reasons to get your images in WebP. To convert JPG to WebP in batches on a Mac or Windows computer, here is a list of easy-to-use tools found online and proved to be excellent.
Also, in the end of the post, we will have a brief comparison between JPG and WebP, figuring out why sometimes WebP is better than JPG.
Best Bulk JPG to WebP Converter 2021 (Mac & Windows)
There are multiple solutions to convert JPG to WebP, you can be adequately served by online free image converters, but also can get better conversion result with a capable, installable JPG to WebP converter software, here we recommend Pixillion Image Converter, one of the biggest names in this niche.
Pixillion Image Converter is very strong when it comes to input and output support, you can read 50+ image formats, including common, raw and additional image formats, also can write them in 20 image formats, including pdf, psd, jpeg, png, ico, svg, webp, etc. The bulk conversion feature lets you convert dozens even hundreds of images at the same time for speedy output.
Editing image a little bit is another advantage from Pixillion to let you have a precise control of the conversion, you can resize, flip, rotate, watermark, etc.
Pixillion Image Converter Features
- Import 50+ image formats: common, raw, additional
- Export images as 20 image formats
- Bulk convert images
- Edit features: resize, flip, rotate, watermark, etc
- Combine images to one PDF
- Configure output preferences: compression, encoding, etc.
Take these steps to bulk convert JPG to WebP on Mac or Windows
- Grab a copy of Pixillion Image Converter, install the app.
- Add all JPG or JPEG files to Pixillion, preview and select them all.
- Go to the output options at the bottom of the interface, choose output as WebP and adjust compression settings, you are recommended to go with lossless compression.
- (Optional) Click on Effects button to edit the images.
- Click Convert to bulk change JPG to WebP.
Best Free JPG to WebP Converter (XnConvert)
Open-source image tools are popular for some reasons, they are free but still capable, XnConvert is one of them.
XnConvert is a free bulk image converter but with a rich set of editing tools, there are 80 actions provided for you to touch up your images: crop, mask, adjust color, apply effect, mirror, rotate…It reads a lot of image types and converts to 80+ formats, including WebP. However, it doesn’t have a beautiful UI and image quality degradation happens after a conversion.
Take these steps to bulk convert JPG to WebP for Free
- Grab the installer of XnConvert, install the app on your Mac or Windows PC, it supports Linux as well.
- Add all JPG files to XnConvert.
- Head to Output tab, choose output as WebP.
- Click Convert to save JPG as WebP for free.
How to Convert JPG to WebP Online for Free?
There is a huge range of options on an online free JPG to WebP converter, to save you time on trying them all, we have picked the one for you: CloudConvert
CloudConvert is a web based tool to convert archive, audio, cad, document, ebook, font, image, presentation, spreadsheet, vector and video, also lets users optimize PDF and image file for free. Comparing with other web based image converters, it has no limits of file size, file quantity and free conversions per day. However, some of the WebP output will be relatively larger than wanted.
Take these steps to bulk convert JPG to WebP online free
- Navigate to CloudConvert.com/jpg-to-webp.
- Upload all JPG files to this web tool.
- Click on Setting gear icon, use the options.
- Click Convert.
- Click Download to save the WebP images to your disk.
JPG VS WEBP
JPG or JPEG, is the most common image format to store digital images in lossy compression. It can keep an image in quite small size, but the image quality gets perceptible loss. While, WebP is the image format that balances size and image quality very well, with both lossy and lossless compression applied, it makes image smaller but preserves quality.
JPG or JPEG is used everywhere on the Internet and can be opened in almost all web browsers, even can be previewed on basically all social media platforms. While, WebP is more preferred by website owners for SEO benefits, it can be opened in approx. 95% web browsers across the world, but a great part of open source image viewers still don’t support reading a WebP image.
A WebP image is 25%~35% smaller in size when comparing with a JPEG file at same SSIM index.
JPG or WebP, that’s depend on your need, no matter converting JPG to WebP or WebP to JPG, both can be done easily.