Are you afraid of that someone steals your ideas or privacy from your PDF files? Or do you want to watermark your PDFs for branding purpose? You can embed text or an image as watermark in the PDFs.
Below, you will find 7 different methods to add watermark to a PDF, from free tools to sophisticated PDF editors, working across macOS, Windows.
- Use PDFChef (The Easy Way)
- Use Adobe Acrobat (The Best PDF Editor)
- Use Foxit FanthomPDF (Acrobat Alternative)
- Use Mac Preview (Free)
- Use iLovePDF (Web)
- Use SodaPDF (Web)
- Use BatchPhoto (Bulk Watermark Multiple PDFs)
1. Use PDFChef (The Easy Way)
Watermarking a PDF is an easy PDF editing task, as long as you have a PDF editor, adding watermark to PDFs can be very easy. Talking about PDF editors, we all know that Adobe Acrobat is the best option, but for many reasons, most of us won’t get the best value from this tool. Why not start with a simple PDF editor?
PDFChef PDF Editor is still new, it was released in 2017 but becomes a standout soon due to its solid features and least expensive price. It has a full-on PDF editor, lets users edit the texts and images in the PDF file, like add, insert, delete, replace, resize. The interface is clean and intuitive, greatly useful for an ideal workflow. It offers other features too: create PDF, annotate, sign, add pages, delete pages, merge PDFs, extract, and export PDFs.
How to Watermark PDFs in PDFChef? (macOS and Windows)
- Grab a free copy of PDFChef, install and open the app.
- Drag n drop PDF to PDFChef.
- Choose Edit>Add Text or Add Image to add a watermark text or image, and customize the watermark.
- Then save the file.
2.Use Adobe Acrobat (The Best PDF Editor)
If PDF editing becomes an indispensable part of your work, maybe this is the time you should have your device installed with Adobe Acrobat, the best PDF tool in the world to fulfill all kinds of PDF tasks. It is not easy to start with, but as you practice more with this tool, you will be professional at PDF documents, just like Adobe Acrobat. It can watermark specific pages of a PDF or watermark multiple PDFs at one time.
How to Add Watermark to PDF in Adobe Acrobat?
- Install Adobe Acrobat, open PDF with this app.
- Go to Tools>Edit>Watermark>Add.
- Adjust the Add Watermark settings, like text, font, size, page number, appearance, position. Then click OK to save the watermark settings.
- Save the file.
3. Use Foxit FanthomPDF (Acrobat Alternative)
If you want to start with a PDF editor with a more user friendly interface and lower price, but still access to full-on PDF Editing features, Foxit PhantomPDF will be better. It offers free trial to let users evaluate before purchase.
Foxit can add, update and even remove watermark from PDF. It is easy to add watermark to PDF with Foxit.
How to add watermark to PDF without Adobe Acrobat?
- Get a free copy of Foxit FanthomPDF, install and run the app.
- Open PDF in Foxit PDF editor.
- Click on Watermark>Add.
- Customize the watermark in your PDF and click OK to save the preferences.
- Save the file and add watermark to your PDF.
4. Use Mac Preview (Free)
On a Mac, Preview is the first option to edit a PDF file. However, strictly speaking, Preview is not a real PDF editor, it just offers a minimalist of markup tools to annotate, highlight, comment. Luckily, there is a Text tool hidden in its markup tools, it lets users add text as watermark, but you will have to add the watermark text manually one page after another page, and you cannot rotate the watermark, it can stands flat and straight only on your PDF pages.
How to Add Watermark to PDF Free in Mac Preview?
- Open PDF with Preview app.
- Show the markup tools.
- Click on the Text tool, add text as watermark, click on A icon to customize watermark text color and font.
- Go to File>Save and finish adding watermark to your PDFs.
5. Use iLovePDF (Online Website)
My first pick for online PDF watermark tool is ilovepdf, because it can watermark PDF in batches, though users cannot preview the watermarked PDF before saving and downloading. Also, it adds both watermark text and image, lets users customize watermark format, position, transparency, rotation, and watermarks one page or entire document.
How to Add Watermark to PDF Online Free in iLovePDF?
- Navigate to https://www.ilovepdf.com/pdf_add_watermark in your web browser.
- Click on Select PDF file to upload PDF files.
- Select watermark text or image and customize watermark as per your needs.
- Click on Add Watermark to start the watermarking process.
- Download the PDF files with watermark to your local drive.
6. Use SodaPDF (Online Website)
SodaPDF is a compelling online free PDF editor, it offers a formidable tool set, there are 42 tools to edit, create, convert and manage your PDFs with ease. The edit feature is an actual text-editing feature, you can edit the text and image in a PDF. Each PDF task can be done easily and there are options available to get a PDF file exactly as you want. Though SodaPDF watermark tool doesn’t support batch processing, it allows users to define the property, font, size, scale, page range, appearance, opacity and location to add a wanted watermark. Also, users can preview the watermarked PDF before saving to disk.
How to Add Watermark to PDF Online Free in SodaPDF?
- Navigate to https://www.sodapdf.com/add-watermark-to-pdf/ in your web browser.
- Click on Choose File to upload PDF files.
- Select watermark text or image and use options to create a wanted watermark.
- Click on Add Watermark.
- Save the PDF files with watermark to your local drive by clicking on red Download button.
7. Use Batch Photo (Bulk Watermark Multiple PDFs)
Adding watermark to multiple PDF files concurrently cannot be done in most of PDF editors, but there is an image tool making this easy.
BatchPhoto is a bulk image converter with rich editing features, including watermarking with text or image. It involves 4 steps and will add a watermark to the entire PDF document and to all imported PDF files.
How to Bulk Watermark PDFs in BatchPhoto? (macOS and Windows)
- Grab a free copy of BatchPhoto, install and run the app.
- Go to Add Photos, drag and drop multiple PDF files into it.
- Go to Edit Photos, Add Filter>Watermark Text or Image.
- Adjust the watermark settings.
- Go to Setup, choose original PDF format.
- Go to Process, add watermark to all PDF pages and PDF files.
If watermarking PDF is just a rare task for you, I would highly recommend online free PDF watermark tools for this. But if you are going to handle more and more PDF files, go for a program that is powerful to get all things done perfectly. Adobe Acrobat is always the ultimate PDF tool, but before taking it, you can free try on other PDF editors and pick your favorite.