When we’ve got a word document with fillable fields, we may need to convert it to a fillable PDF form, for the reason that PDF has excellent interactive tools and retains exact content & appearance in saved document, and it is easy to edit the fillable PDF form in a PDF viewer, like Google Chrome. Luckily, several of apps will help us create fillable PDF from a Word document.
To choose the best app or free method, we have taken these things into consideration, such as price, how much know-how required, additional features, fillable fields custom, etc. For instance, if you want a way to automatically recognize fillable fields from the file and edit the property, Adobe Acrobat is out of the question, but if you want to go without paying, Sejdapdf and DocFly can be used for a shift.
- Easiest, Fastest: We Should Try Adobe Acrobat
- Create Fillable PDF from Word Document Online Free
- Use Pages to Create Fillable PDF from Word on Mac
Easiest, Fastest: We Should Try Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat excels at solving all kinds of PDF tasks. There are more features and functions hidden away in Adobe Acrobat than you might have realized:
Create PDF from Word, Spreadsheet, Presentation, images, etc.
- Export PDF as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, etc.
- Scan and OCR, make the file searchable
- Edit PDF texts, images, urls, multimedia
- Combine and split PDF files
- Add, insert, delete, replace, rotate, crop, resize PDF pages
- Add form fields, auto recognize form fields, fill forms
- Sign and protect PDF, add digital signature ID
- Add comments, shapes, stamp, highlight, measurement
- Flatten PDF, including comments
- Compare PDFs
To create fillable PDF from a Word file, you need PDF features like Create PDF, Recognize form fields, Fill, even Edit. And you have all these tools in Adobe. When loading the Word document to Acrobat, it will convert to PDF, and the Prepare Form feature will auto detect all fillable fields and add form fields, with appearances, options, actions, positions, format, validation and calculation allowed to be changed. You can freely add, delete, move up & down, copy and rename fillable fields as you want.
Let’s create fillable PDF form from Word document in Adobe Acrobat
- Get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat, install and fire up on your machine. It offers 7-day free trial.
- Head to Tools>Create PDF.
- Select the Word document you want to convert to fillable PDF, hit Create button.
- Head to Tools>Forms & Signatures>Prepare Form.
- Select the PDF you just created from Word document, hit on Start.
- Now, Adobe just detected all fillable fields and add form fields accurately, you can change the properties, add, delete, copy, rename, etc.
- Then hit on the Save button to save the fillable PDF form.
Create Fillable PDF from Word Document Online Free
Your first instinct might be to visit online PDF websites when it comes to create fillable PDF from a Word file without Adobe Acrobat. The good news is that you can find online free tools to get your job done, but the bad news is, they come with limitations and involve a longer process to create such a PDF form.
One of the oldest PDF service online, and still one of the easiest to use. It comes with dozens of features to process a PDF file, including merge, compress, esign, split, edit, convert, protect, compress, add numbers, watermark and so on. We can use the Convert and Edit feature to create a fillable PDF from Word document online free with this tool.
It lets users to add form fields to the PDF. There is a premium subscription for users to unlock limits like: documents up to 200 pages or 50 Mb and 3 tasks per hour.
- Navigate to sejda.com in your web browser, go to All Tools>Convert to PDF>Word to PDF.
- Add the Word document to this tool.
- Then click on Edit to open this file in PDF format now.
- Head to Forms, choose a form filed type. Drag and move the form fields to anywhere you want to add.
- Customize the form fields with these tools.
- Hit on Apply Changes to save the fillable fields.
- Download the fillable form and save to your disk.
It is one of the best competitor to sedjapdf and still easy to use. It can create, convert and edit PDF for free. The Form Creator from its Edit module allows adding text, text filed, paragraph filed and other filed. However, users can be only allowed to download 3 PDF for free.
- Navigate to docfly.com in your web browser.
- Drag and drop the Word document you want to convert to fillable PDF.
- Select the Word document and click on the 3 dots on the right side and choose Convert to PDF.
- Then click on the Converted PDF and enter Edit. Select Form Creator>Text Field, add fillable fields wherever you want to fill in.
- Lastly, click on Export>Download to save the fillable PDF form to your disk.
Use Pages to Create Fillable PDF from Word on Mac
There are many reasons why you might choose a Mac over Windows PC, and creating fillable PDF file from Word document is easier on Apple’s operating system: you can use the free app Pages to create PDF from Word first, then upload it online to add fillable fields.
- Open Word document with Pages app.
- Head to File>Export To>PDF.
- Then visit docfly, sejda or other online PDF tools to add form fields, you can refer to the steps in part 2.
The Bottom Line
Sejda and docfly, both are great, and they are free, but processing files online takes more time and makes us stressful about the possible risks of privacy leak. If you are dealing with PDFs, not just once, not just for markup, a tool like Adobe Acrobat will be the most prominent option for you, it is easy to use and let you automate some tasks with high productivity.