When we got a PDF file with pages out of order, we need to reorder it. But without a PDF editor app featuring an Organize Pages tool, we won’t be able to do so, since all PDF readers, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, Chrome PDF Viewer, don’t allow rearranging PDF pages.
Yet, we still have free ways to rearrange PDF pages on your Mac or Windows PC, both online and offline. Not going through the steps of using Adobe Acrobat to rearrange PDF pages, we will pick some alternative apps to reorder PDF pages instead.
- Recommended App to Rearrange PDF Pages on Mac and Windows Easily
- Rearrange PDF Pages Offline for Free
- Rearrange PDF Pages Online Free
- Alternative Apps to Rearrange PDF Pages without Adobe
Recommended App to Rearrange PDF Pages on Mac and Windows Easily
If there is any PDF editor with the best value for price, it is no doubt the Movavi PDFChef. Surely, it can reorder PDF pages.
Movavi PDFChef is not a full-fledged PDF editor that costs you hundreds of dollars, but the most lightweight and practical PDF tool to create, convert and edit your PDFs on Mac or on Windows system, with a price of $29.95/year. It offers toolbar to manage PDF pages: add, delete, copy, rotate, reorder, etc.
Standout features of Movavi PDFChef
- Create PDF from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Text, JPEG, PNG, BMP, Epub, DjVu, HTML
- Edit PDF text/image: add, delete, replace/modify, resize, etc.
- Manage PDF pages: add, insert blank page, delete, reorder, copy, rotate, extract pages
- Convert PDF to Word, Text, Epub, HTML, JPEG, PNG, BMP
- Merge, sign, append, search, print PDFs
The steps to rearrange PDF pages on Mac or on Windows system
- Grab a free copy of Movavi PDFChef, install and run the app.
- Add the PDF file to PDFChef.
- In the Thumbnail mode, select and move the page to the place where you want to reorder.
- Optional. Edit the file or manage PDF pages if you need.
- Go to File>Save to save the rearranged PDF file.
Rearrange PDF Pages Offline for Free (Preview)
Want to reorder PDF pages for free and offline? macOS Preview is the rare free PDF tool to rearrange your pages. There indeed are free PDF editors available, but the free edition is always limited to basic functions, like Split, Merge, Rotate or Extract. Thus, we don’t have a choice actually on this task.
macOS Preview is by no means a PDF editor, since it cannot edit the texts. It is a PDF tool with rich markup features, but also adds the functionality to manage PDF pages, like Insert, Copy, Rotate, Export as, etc.
The steps to rearrange PDF pages on Mac for free with Preview offline
- Open PDF file with Mac Preview.
- In the Thumbnail mode, select and move the page to reorder it.
- Go to File>Save, your PDF file is rearranged on Mac for free.
Rearrange PDF Pages Online Free
Obviously, we don’t have many free offline PDF editors, since Adobe still charges a lot if any PDF editor developer want to use their technologies, which makes a full-featured PDF editor often comes with a high price tag. But cloud-based PDF editors are different, they don’t offer all fancy features, but we can use for free. Here we pick 3 services without requiring registration.
It is one of the most compelling web-based PDF editors with 6 tool sets:
- Organize PDF(merge, split, remove/extract pdf pages, organize)
- Optimize PDF (compress, repair)
- Convert to PDF
- Convert from PDF
- Edit PDF (rotate, add page numbers, add watermark, edit pdf)
- PDF Security (protect, unlock and sing pdf)
You can upload PDF files from local folder, Google Drive or Dropbox by drag-n-drop. When reordering PDF pages with ilovepdf, you can put the pages in order by number, add blank pages to the file, even rotate or delete a specific page.
Steps to reorder PDF pages online free with ilovepdf
- Navigate to ilovepdf.com/organize-pdf in your web browser.
- Click on Select PDF file to upload the PDF document.
- Drag and move the PDF pages as you need, click Organize to rearrange PDF pages.
- Click Download file to save the rearranged PDF file to your local drive or cloud storage account.
It is absolutely one of the most excellent online free PDF editors that offer solid editing tools:
- Insert (text, image, link, whiteout, freehand, form filed)
- Annotate (sticky note, underline, highlight, strikeout, rectangle)
- Manage PDF Pages( reorder, delete, append, crop)
However, regarding PDF pages rearrangement, you cannot drag and move the pages as freely as in other online free PDF editors, you need to manually input the page number where you want to move a page to. Plus, you can only upload PDF file up to 10 MB and 100 pages. It takes a while to finish uploading.
Steps to rearrange PDF page online free with PDFescape
- Navigate to PDFescape.com in your web browser.
- Drag and drop the PDF file to the box.
- Hover to Page, select the page that you want to move, click Move, input the page number where you want to move the selected page to.
- Click on the green Download button on the left hand, save the rearranged PDF file.
Not only rearranging PDF pages in the same way as ilovepdf, PDFCandy includes all features that ilovepdf covers, even provides more features, like edit metadata, resize pages, extract text, add header and footer, support more input and output formats…
But when reordering PDF pages in PDFCandy, you can only rotate or delete a PDF page, but not to add a page. Also, it takes a while to process the reordering.
Steps to rearrange PDF pages online free with PDFCandy
- Navigate to PDFCandy.com/rearrange-pdf.html in your web browser.
- Click Add file to upload a PDF file to work on the reordering.
- Drag and move the pages as you need, then click on Rearrange pages.
- Click on the green Download button to save the rearranged PDF file.
Alternative Apps to Rearrange PDF Pages without Adobe
If you prefer to use a reliable PDF editor to rearrange the pages by considering that PDF is an indispensable part of your daily work with a good price, there are 2 alternative apps to rearrange PDF pages without Adobe Acrobat.
No 1. PDFExpert (Mac and iPhone/iPad)
Price: $79.99/3 Macs
- Edit PDF text, image, link
- Redact, annotate, protect, add stamp, sign, compress, extract PDF
- Fill forms
- Add/delete/reorder PDF pages, merge/split PDF files
- Create PDF from Word, Image, etc
- Convert PDF to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, HTML, Image
- OCR PDF
- Export annotation summary
No2. Foxit PDF Editor(Mac and Windows)
- Create and convert PDF
- View and print PDF
- Edit PDF: text, image, link
- Manage PDF pages
- Search and replace
- OCR scanned PDF
- Fill out PDF forms
- Add or remove PDF password
- Sign PDF
- Annotate PDF
- Optimize PDF
By dragging and moving the pages, you will be able to rearrange PDF pages with these 2 tools easily.